Remove blog post date – Tonal

  • Posts

  • I did the:
    Admin–>Writing–>Custom–>Delete (blank) and save

    The dates are still there, I even made a new one just to check. If anyone could also help, I would like to also remove "Bookmark the permalink."

    Thanks for any assistance.
    –Wann

    The blog I need help with is: thewann.wordpress.com

    Hi Wann,

    Admin–>Writing–>Custom–>Delete

    I'm not familiar such a path in a WordPress.com interface. What's the address (URL) of the site you're referring to?

    On a WordPress.com site with the Premium or Business plans, removing the date is possible with custom CSS.

    ~doc

    When I google "how to remove a date from a wordpress blog post" many pages tell me to go to the Admin dashboard–>Click on General tab–>Under the date and time format make them custom and delete the prefilled out format–> Once it is deleted/blank, hit save and it clears out your timestamps on your posts.

    I did the above but nothing has changed.

    Sorry I did not fully explain that process. I am a bit new to WordPress and I assumed this was one of those "tricks" that was probably well known.

    If CSS is the only way to remove a timestamp, is there a way to search for a template that does not have a time stamp?
    Thank you.

    –Wann

    Once it is deleted/blank, hit save and it clears out your timestamps on your posts.

    I've never heard of the method you've described. I believe you can only change the timezone and the formats of dates and times on the site with the time settings at General Settings, as described in the Time Settings support page, and here, and not hide them on posts, but I may be wrong so I'd recommend you wait for staff's response regarding that. I've called for staff attention to the topic. Staff will respond here and should be able to tell you whether datestamps can be removed at General Settings.

    If CSS is the only way to remove a timestamp, is there a way to search for a template that does not have a time stamp?

    I don't know. I presume you're referring to date stamps, because I don't see timestamps on your posts. Staff should be able to provide a better answer regarding that question too.

    I would like to also remove "Bookmark the permalink."

    I believe this will also require custom CSS.

    Thanks for the assist. Below is one of the first pages I found giving that advice. They also explain CSS and plugins, but since I do not have a business plan I was hoping this would work.

    https://afthemes.com/blog/remove-date-from-wordpress-post/

    Either way, thanks.

    –Wann

    Hi there,

    Under the date and time format make them custom and delete the prefilled out format–> Once it is deleted/blank, hit save and it clears out your timestamps on your posts.

    I have also not heard of this. This is not possible on to delete any date related fields on WordPress.com simply because the time related fields are either drop down or a radio button.

    I'm curious as to where you received this information from, if you do not mind sharing the URL?

    But yes, CSS would be required to get rid of the time stamp information. If you decide to upgrade to Premium, here is the CSS snippet that would you need:

                        .entry-meta {     display: none; }                  

    Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

    In the link provided by Wann in his previous post, https://afthemes.com/blog/remove-date-from-wordpress-post/, I find the following:

    Removing date from WordPress post is very easy from the admin dashboard.

    • Go to the admin dashboard
    • After that, go to Settings > General
    • On the date format section, select Custom and delete whatever is there and click on Save Changes.

    With this method, the date from WordPress post will be removed easily. Besides this, we have some more approaches to hide the date from the WordPress post.

    I tried this method on a test site and found that it doesn't work. If you delete the format string, and update the page without entering another format string to replace the deleted one, then WordPress.com automatically replaces the deleted format string with the default one (F j, Y). It's impossible to leave that field empty.

    It sounds like the link I found gave me bad information. This is more of a for fun blog to help teach me a few things… not really worth paying for at the moment. Keeping the date isn't too big of a deal either way.
    Thanks for the assistance.

    –Wann

  • Author

    Posts

The topic 'Remove blog post date – Tonal' is closed to new replies.